Coconut crusted banana bread french toast

Or: betcha wish you had breakfast at my house.

I wanted to try the new Cooking Light banana bread recipe. But the old Cooking Light banana bread recipe was my standby.  I used to make this recipe so often, I almost had it memorized. I sent it to DR-sis every semester during finals in a care package. (Once she started getting a paycheck, I decided she can make her own bread.)

So, I had to make both banana bread recipes. At once. To tell which was better.

I’ll cut to the chase and tell you that the old recipe is still my fave. Add a little extra banana and vanilla though, and I like to use half whole wheat flour.

On to the present: we have a ton of banana bread. I had the idea to channel my father-in-law and turn this into french toast. But with coconut. So here goes:

Coconut-crusted banana bread french toast with caramelized bananas

Go get:
-Like a bunch of banana bread. I mean, are you hungry or what?
-2 eggs
-1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut (I have only found this at Whole Foods)
-1 banana
-about 2 T brown sugar
-Oil or butter (I highly recommend coconut oil, but canola will work too)
-maple syrup

Get a pan or griddle warming at medium heat. Crack your two eggs in a shallow bowl and whisk. In another bowl, add your coconut.

Slice your banana bread about 1/2 – 3/4 inch thick. Dip each side in the eggs and then into the coconut.

Add oil or butter to the griddle and let it get hot. Add the coconut-crusted bread to the hot griddle and cook for about 4 minutes per side. Meanwhile, cut the banana into circles and coat the pieces in a little brown sugar. Add them to the griddle.

Serve with syrup!

The Huz says: “This is better than anything I’ve had at Toast“. Yipee!

14 thoughts on “Coconut crusted banana bread french toast

1. alipremo says:

Mmmmmm, that looks so delicious!!!

2. Stacy says:

Mol – that looks amazing! Yes, I wish I had breakfast at your house! I’m going to try this — but I need your banana bread recipe :-)

3. Erica A says:

That look AMAZING! When I get in gear and do brunch… can you please bring that!

4. ling says:

ummm, i am currently drooling!! delicious!

5. Jessica says:

Does BBB think its better than Craigs? Hmmm. scandal.

6. CCC says:

Going on the menu for next year’s Cape visit (and we want to try the original when we visit youz guyz in October !)

7. Lucy says:

Wow I’m not normally a big breakfast fan but this looks like the breakfast of kings! What a treat.

8. Looks great!! I can’t wait to try this recipe.

9. I just found your blog on Foodista, and my god.. this looks so incredibly decadent. Just absurdly yummy.

10. Bethany Bak says:

Currently making your french toast right now for Aaron and I for breakfast! Smells awesome already!

P.S. Try making french toast with panetone in the winter, it is usually in the markets in December. It is awesome!

11. […] Coconut Crusted Banana Bread French Toast (from Doughing Rogue) […]

12. that looks so good :) i mean , really really good!!!