Coconut crusted banana bread french toast

Or: betcha wish you had breakfast at my house.

_MG_6525.jpg

I wanted to try the new Cooking Light banana bread recipe. But the old Cooking Light banana bread recipe was my standby.  I used to make this recipe so often, I almost had it memorized. I sent it to DR-sis every semester during finals in a care package. (Once she started getting a paycheck, I decided she can make her own bread.)

So, I had to make both banana bread recipes. At once. To tell which was better.

_MG_4425.jpg

I’ll cut to the chase and tell you that the old recipe is still my fave. Add a little extra banana and vanilla though, and I like to use half whole wheat flour.

_MG_4433.jpg

On to the present: we have a ton of banana bread. I had the idea to channel my father-in-law and turn this into french toast. But with coconut. So here goes:

Coconut-crusted banana bread french toast with caramelized bananas

Go get:
-Like a bunch of banana bread. I mean, are you hungry or what?
-2 eggs
-1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut (I have only found this at Whole Foods)
-1 banana
-about 2 T brown sugar
-Oil or butter (I highly recommend coconut oil, but canola will work too)
-maple syrup

Get a pan or griddle warming at medium heat. Crack your two eggs in a shallow bowl and whisk. In another bowl, add your coconut.

_MG_6505.jpg

Slice your banana bread about 1/2 – 3/4 inch thick. Dip each side in the eggs and then into the coconut.

_MG_6507.jpg

Add oil or butter to the griddle and let it get hot. Add the coconut-crusted bread to the hot griddle and cook for about 4 minutes per side. Meanwhile, cut the banana into circles and coat the pieces in a little brown sugar. Add them to the griddle.

_MG_6510.jpg

_MG_6511.jpg

Serve with syrup!

_MG_6524.jpg

_MG_6544.jpg

The Huz says: “This is better than anything I’ve had at Toast“. Yipee!

About these ads
Tagged

14 thoughts on “Coconut crusted banana bread french toast

1. alipremo says:

Mmmmmm, that looks so delicious!!!

2. Stacy says:

Mol – that looks amazing! Yes, I wish I had breakfast at your house! I’m going to try this — but I need your banana bread recipe :-)

3. Erica A says:

That look AMAZING! When I get in gear and do brunch… can you please bring that!

4. ling says:

ummm, i am currently drooling!! delicious!

5. Jessica says:

Does BBB think its better than Craigs? Hmmm. scandal.

6. CCC says:

Going on the menu for next year’s Cape visit (and we want to try the original when we visit youz guyz in October !)
    -CCC/LMC

7. Lucy says:

Wow I’m not normally a big breakfast fan but this looks like the breakfast of kings! What a treat.

8. Looks great!! I can’t wait to try this recipe.

9. I just found your blog on Foodista, and my god.. this looks so incredibly decadent. Just absurdly yummy.

10. Bethany Bak says:

Currently making your french toast right now for Aaron and I for breakfast! Smells awesome already!

P.S. Try making french toast with panetone in the winter, it is usually in the markets in December. It is awesome!

11. [...] Coconut Crusted Banana Bread French Toast (from Doughing Rogue) [...]

12. that looks so good :) i mean , really really good!!!