I love cooking meals for friends that have just had a baby because it means 1) I get to cuddle a newborn, and 2) hopefully bring a little sanity to some under-slept pals. However, you can’t just bring anything – there are a few qualifications that these meals must pass:
- Little to no work for the new parents to prepare
- Chock full of veggies to keep new parents going strong
- Makes enough servings to have a few days of leftovers
- Pairs well with the glass of wine that mom desperately deserves
This lasagna fits the bill – I’ve made it several times now. After a couple requests for the recipe, I decided to post it.
New Parent Veggie Lasagna, adapted from KathEats
-1 package lasagna noodles
-25 oz jar of pasta sauce (I like any kind from Trader Joe’s)
-1 small jar of pesto
-1 bag baby spinach
-2 to 3 zucchini
-4 roma tomatoes
-2 to 3 medium carrots
-5 oz. shredded parmesan cheese
-8 oz. shredded mozzarella cheese
-16 oz. low fat cottage cheese
Let’s do this:
I go in the following order: noodles, sauce, pesto, veggies, cheeses, spinach. Then start over with a new layer of noodles, so you have 3 layers by the end. Top the last layer of spinach with a little extra cheese.
Cover with tin foil. I tucked in some italian bread, red wine, and two pieces of this cake that I happened to have made the day before for a birthday.
As a final note, NONE of my recipes would be possible without the new app I have been using – ziplist! I was looking for a way to quickly add ingredients from recipes I found on the internet (mostly pinned on pinterest) to a running grocery list. Here’s how ziplist works for me:
(Note: This post is in no way sponsored by Ziplist – I can assure you they have no idea who I am. I just like it!)
1. Go to ziplist and create an account.
2. Drag the ziplist toolbar icon onto your bookmark bar.
3. Find any recipe you like on the internet and click your new bookmark bar.
4. The ingredients get added to your “recipe box”.
5. Click “add to list” and choose the ingredients you want added to your grocery list.
6. Download the app from your app store. Take your app to the store and shop!
Do you guys use an app for grocery lists? I’d love to know!!