Sweet potato scones

_MG_9855.jpg
I always thought scones were hard to make. I don’t know who planted this idea in my head or why no one ever told me how easy they are (I’m lookin’ at you, Stacy!). Now that I’ve seen the light, I forsee a very scone-heavy fall coming (also a molly-heavy fall if I keep up this pace of scone-eating).

The first time I made this recipe, I kept it simple and made plain sweet potato scones. On subsequent attempts, I added in chopped apple, cranberries, and white chocolate chips. All are really good, but the plain one is not very sweet, so if you are like me and prefer your scones coated in sugar (as far as I can tell, Starbucks invented this with their pumpkin scone) you might add in apples or something to sweeten ’em up a bit.

Next time you make sweet potatoes for dinner, make one extra and save it for this recipe! (I bet this would work with canned sweet potato or pumpkin too)

Sweet Potato Scones, makes 8 scones, adapted from this recipe
-2 1/4 cup whole wheat flour (I found a new sprouted whole wheat flour at Whole Foods and it’s true love)
-1 t baking powder
-1 t baking soda
-1/2 t salt
-1 t cinnamon
-1 c mashed, cooked sweet potato (a little less than one medium sweet potato)
-1/2 c coconut oil, plus 1 T for brushing over the tops of the scones
-1 t vanilla
-1/4 cup maple syrup
-optional: 1/2 cup add-ins (apple, cranberries, white choc chips, or some combination of the three!)
_MG_9814.jpg

Preheat oven to 350. Add your dry ingredients to a large bowl (surprise benefit: this is a one bowl recipe!): flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon.
_MG_9816.jpg

Combine with a whisk.
_MG_9818.jpg

Add your wet ingredients: sweet potato, coconut oil, vanilla, maple syrup.
_MG_9820.jpg

Form a big ol’ dough ball.
_MG_9822.jpg

Knead in your add-ins (cranberries and white chocolate chips shown here).
_MG_9826.jpg

Form a circle that is about the size of my outstretched hand. Just kidding, make a circle about 7 inches in diameter (yes, I have tiny, useless, can’t-even-reach-a-full-octave hands, it was the bane of my piano-playing career).
_MG_9829.jpg

Cut into 8 pieces and add to a cookie sheet lined with a silpat or parchment paper.
_MG_9835.jpg

Brush the tops with a little coconut oil.
_MG_9840.jpg

Bake for about 18 minutes (when I added apples, it took longer – more like 21 mins!). Enjoy with a latte <squeals>!!

_MG_9888.jpg

_MG_9842.jpg

Advertisements
Tagged

11 thoughts on “Sweet potato scones

1. Erica says:

Um… Can you please make some for the clothes exchange? They may be easy for you but you know they would not be easy for me?? Looks delish!

2. Stacy says:

Ha ha you know how I love my scones! And yes, they are easy to make. Sorry I didn’t bring you to the dark side sooner 🙂 These look amazing and I’ll have to try them! You know, my coconut oil looks, well, like oil. Does it still work the same? Also, for this recipe do you think there is a difference in using regular wheat flour versus pastry flour? I haven’t figured out that trick for all recipes yet.

• Molly says:

It’s actually probably better if your coconut oil is more like oil. Mine was just a little cold, so it was semi-solid. My sweet potato was still warm, so it melted the oil right away.
      I think pastry flour will make this scone a little lighter (as it is, it’s pretty dense), so that might be good too!

3. Kelli P. says:

Thanks Molly, this is perfect because for unknown reasons I ordered a bag of sweet potatoes and a couple cans of sweet potato puree on peapod last night. Then left myself a sticky note that read “find sweet potato recipes”…well my prayers have been answered!

• Molly says:

Yay! warning: these go fast. I had to make a double batch last time because one serving for the Huz is apparently 3 scones. 🙂

4. Shannon C says:

These sound really, really good. Coconut oil is a little out of my budget though. Do you think it would be okay to substitute olive oil or butter (or a blend)? I am not too familiar with the chemistry of coconut oil in baking.

• Molly says:

Hi Shannon! It is my understanding that you can substitute butter one-for-one for coconut oil, so that should definitely work! on another note, Trader Joe’s now has coconut oil, and it’s much cheaper than other stores. Happy baking!

5. Rachel says:

I’m glad that someone asked about the solid coconut oil thing, because I couldn’t figure what I was missing. I did deduce that the chocolate chips were white chocolate. I’m tempted to add dried cherries instead of cranberries. My first scone actually came from England when a friend brought me some on her trip back. Oh, my was that good. Never did try to make them but you make it sound easy.

• Molly says:

They are SO easy. I can’t believe it myself! I’ve made them 4 times and haven’t messed them up once 🙂 Somehow these taste buttery, even though there is no butter. Cherries would be delicious!

6. Wendy says:

Yum! I want more of these. I guess that means I have to actually make some myself. 🙂