New parent vegetable lasagna and my favorite app

_MG_0695.jpg

I love cooking meals for friends that have just had a baby because it means 1) I get to cuddle a newborn, and 2) hopefully bring a little sanity to some under-slept pals. However, you can’t just bring anything – there are a few qualifications that these meals must pass:

• Little to no work for the new parents to prepare
  • Chock full of veggies to keep new parents going strong
  • Makes enough servings to have a few days of leftovers
  • Delicious
  • Pairs well with the glass of wine that mom desperately deserves

This lasagna fits the bill – I’ve made it several times now.  After a couple requests for the recipe, I decided to post it.

New Parent Veggie Lasagna, adapted from KathEats

-1 package lasagna noodles
-25 oz jar of pasta sauce (I like any kind from Trader Joe’s)
-1 small jar of pesto
-1 bag baby spinach
-2 to 3 zucchini
-4 roma tomatoes
-2 to 3 medium carrots
-5 oz. shredded parmesan cheese
-8 oz. shredded mozzarella cheese
-16 oz. low fat cottage cheese

_MG_0644.jpg

Let’s do this:

Slice your zucchini, tomatoes, and carrots thinly. I like to use my mandolin for this task.
_MG_0652.jpg

Prepare all your ingredients and get ready to layer!
_MG_0659.jpg

I go in the following order: noodles, sauce, pesto, veggies, cheeses, spinach. Then start over with a new layer of noodles, so you have 3 layers by the end. Top the last layer of spinach with a little extra cheese.

lasagna

Done!

_MG_0710.jpg

Cover with tin foil. I tucked in some italian bread, red wine, and two pieces of this cake that I happened to have made the day before for a birthday.
_MG_0715.jpg

Plus a note with baking instructions (400 degrees covered for an hour).
_MG_0722.jpg

As a final note, NONE of my recipes would be possible without the new app I have been using – ziplist! I was looking for a way to quickly add ingredients from recipes I found on the internet (mostly pinned on pinterest) to a running grocery list. Here’s how ziplist works for me:
(Note: This post is in no way sponsored by Ziplist – I can assure you they have no idea who I am. I just like it!)

1. Go to ziplist and create an account.

Screen shot 2014-04-27 at 2.30.52 PM

2. Drag the ziplist toolbar icon onto your bookmark bar.

Screen shot 2014-04-27 at 2.31.10 PM

3. Find any recipe you like on the internet and click your new bookmark bar.

Screen shot 2014-04-27 at 2.33.06 PM

4. The ingredients get added to your “recipe box”.

Screen shot 2014-04-27 at 2.33.53 PM

5. Click “add to list” and choose the ingredients you want added to your grocery list.

Screen shot 2014-04-27 at 2.34.35 PM

6. Download the app from your app store. Take your app to the store and shop!

photo

Do you guys use an app for grocery lists? I’d love to know!!

Advertisements
Tagged , , , ,

13 thoughts on “New parent vegetable lasagna and my favorite app

1. Stacy says:

Love this recipe! I am always trying to think of the perfect meal for new parents — lasagna is always a go-to option. This is so colorful and looks delicious! Definitely pulling this out for the next round of new, under-slept parents!

2. Ling says:

Yes! I can attest that this is the most amazing vegetable lasagna and it was a great treat when baby Emmett arrived! Thanks for posting the recipe! I’ll try this ziplist app- we use the grocery gadget app typically cuz it’s shareable- probably not the best but it keeps me from going insane losing the paper list in random aisles!

3. Maureen Ryan says:

This looks delicious!! I’m going to download the ziplist app so that I can be ready to buy these ingredients the next time I’m grocery shopping:) Thanks for sharing!!

4. Rachel says:

This has all the ingredients I love and as always, your instructions are the best. One thing I’m not sure of is should it be backed covered or uncovered or some of both?

• Molly says:

Whoops – I’ll fix the recipe – bake covered for an hour (I usually finish the last 5 minutes uncovered because I like the cheese on top to be burned a bit)!

5. rewing123 says:

so can i make this a reason that it might be ok to have the baby early since i measured at 38 weeks this morning? (also, yikes. also, might have just been b/c of the red velvet cupcake i inhaled last night).

6. Kevin says:

I was fortunate enough to have this cooked for me by Molly herself after my wife popped out a baby, and mmm boy was it good! It was one of the best presents we got 🙂 She even got me to eat zucchini and I HATE zucchini. This recipe is definitely going into the rotation. Thanks for posting Molly!

7. joman says:

I think the mouse in my house just had babies ! Please send over a dish and leave in the frig. We are all exhausted and could use a good meal.
    “M”,Gracie and Joe

8. […] week.  Or at least for a few days:)  Been meaning to make this recipe from my friend Molly at the Doughing Rogue and so glad I finally did!  Check out her website for some delicious recipes and beautiful […]

9. Kevin says:

So, for the past year I’ve been trying to find this wine my wife and I had that we loved and we couldn’t remember where we got it from. I just came back here to get the recipe for this lasagna since my cousin just had a baby, and low and behold, there’s the wine in the picture! Where can I get some of that Dark Horse red wine? It was very tasty.